In 2000 this Rolls-Royce C6SFL supercharged 6-cylinder 190bhp industrial diesel engine was acquired for the Foundation by two members of the ACT Branch of the Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club of
Australia. It came from the College of Technical & Further Education (TAFE) in Goulburn, NSW. The engine had been sectioned with cut-aways and concealed lighting fitted, allowing the moving
parts, which are powered by an electric motor, to be seen operating.
The Rolls-Royce Oil Engine Division began producing various types of diesel engine in 1951. Initially the engines powered heavy crawler tractors (e.g. Vickers-Armstrongs V180 ‘Vigor’) and
earthmovers (International Harvester BTD20), but later they were installed in lorries and prime movers (Scammell; Thornycroft Mighty Antar Mk. 3/3a), fire engines (Dennis), railcars, diesel multiple
units and Yorkshire Engine Company and Sentinel shunting locomotives, as well as in some marine applications. Rolls-Royce took over Sentinel’s Shrewsbury factory for diesel engine production in 1956.
The Rolls-Royce diesel business was acquired by Perkins in the 1980s.
Following its refurbishment in 2010, by Simon Elliott of The Derby Works, Melbourne, this engine was moved to a display location at the Melbourne Steam Traction Engine Club’s facilities in
Scoresby, Victoria, where it is seen here in October 2014.
In June 2015 the engine was again moved, and is now on display at the Foundation’s property: The Lionel Gell School of Instruction for Rolls-Royce and Bentley Owners, in Rowville, Victoria.
The Foundation thanks the Victoria Branch of the Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club of Australia for arranging the moves; and the Melbourne Steam Traction Engine Club for making the display facility
available for five years.