Before Henry Royce became involved in motor cars he formed F.H. Royce & Co in 1884 when he was 21. That Company manufactured dynamos and electric cranes; parts of one of the latter were
donated to the Foundation when the building housing them was demolished. Surprisingly perhaps, F.H. Royce's most successful product was a consumer item making use of the then ‘new’ marvel,
electricity, in the home: an electric door bell.
The Foundation has three F.H. Royce electric motors from an overhead travelling crane which was installed in the heavy engineering company, Marfleet & Weight Pty Ltd’s Flockhart Street,
Abbotsford manufacturing plant.